Steve Easton has just posted his FP Cleaner Tool which has been updated to work with Expression Web 4.0. This tool has been a staple in my arsenal for a number of years now and is one I always recommend to others for helping to clear up problems that may occur while using the program.
FP Cleaner for Expression Web 4.
Expression Web 4 Cleanup Utility
FP Cleaner does not require installation and will run from the desktop. According to Steve, the program will run on any of the current Windows system. I am running it on a Windows Vista laptop and a Windows 7 desktop with no problems.
You can download FPCleaner from http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew4.htm
What Do the Buttons Do?
- The top button ‘Restore Default Menus and Toolbars‘ is not available as the ability to customize the toolbars is not available in EW 4.
- Change the ‘Last Web Open Setting‘ allows you to change that setting to ensure the program is not trying to open a web when it starts. This can be useful if you have EW is set to open the last web edited and that web has a problem.
- ‘Clear the Hidden Temporary Files‘ checks for the location of the hidden Temporary directory for the logged on User, if the directory exists, pressing this button clears it and moves the files to the Recycle Bin. Files left behind in these directories by an improper computer or program shut down will cause problems when trying to open, save, and/or edit pages on your web site.
- ‘Clear the Hidden Web Cache files (*.web)’ – There is a .web file for each of your webs and if these files become corrupted, you may encounter problems opening or closing your web. Clicking this button deletes these files and forces creation of new clean files when each web is opened or published.
- ‘Clear the Find/Replace MRU List‘ clears the Most Recently Used ( MRU ) list of Find/Replace entries
- Clicking ‘Start‘ will Launch Expression Web 4.
- Clicking ‘Close‘ closes FP Cleaner for Expression Web 4 without starting the program.
- Clicking ‘Properties‘ opens the Windows file properties dialog for EWFPCleaner.exe.
- Clicking ‘Info‘ displays the basic information text.
The Fp Cleaner for Expression Web 4 is, as it always has been FREE, and can be downloaded from http://www.95isalive.com/fixes/ew4.htm.
Thank you Steve.