All versions of Expression Web come with a set of generic site templates packaged as Dynamic Web Templates or DWT’s for short. These can be found under Site > New Site >Templates in Expression Web 3 and under File > New > Web Site > Templates in Expression Web 1.0 and 2.0 It is possible to create and add your own templates to those generic ones. Tina Clarke has written a tutorial Register Custom Templates in Expression Web 3.0. with instructions on the process you will need to follow to create and add your own DWT’s. NOTE: The template packages will work with ALL versions of Expression Web.
Tina and I have been supporters of Eric Meyer’s CSS Sculptor for Expression Web since it was first released. We were sad to see it had been dropped by WebAssist. I have used it to produce some of the FREE templates I offer at Expression Web Tutorials & Templates.
Tina and I decided to combine forces to create a set of basic dynamic web site templates complete with external style sheet based on the CSS Sculptor layouts. The set of twelve templates have been tweaked and heavily commented for ease of use. Each set also contains a search box page and contact form page. Complete instructions for installing the templates within Expression Web and working with them are available from Expression Web 3.0 Site Templates.
The series of twelve templates are divided into four layout groupings:
- One column with top navigation, header, and footer
- Two column with left sidebar, top navigation, header, and footer
- Two column right sidebar, top navigation, header, and footer
- Three columns, left and right sidebar, top navigation
Within each of the layout groups you will find the following different types:
- Fixed to 800px- Page and column widths are set with pixels and do not resize if the browser window or browser text size changes.
- Fixed to 1024px- Page and column widths are set with pixels and do not resize if the browser window or browser text size changes.
- Liquid – Page and column widths are set with percentages which allows them to resize when the browser window changes with the exception of the three column templates which has the left and right side columns set in pixel widths.
Did I mention that all of this is FREE! The site templates can be viewed and downloaded from Expression Web 3.0 Site Templates. They are packaged in groups of three and will work with ALL versions of Expression Web.
Also available on the site are tutorials on the following topics:
- Working With Forms
- Add a Search Box – Add Bing Search Box
- About Privacy Policies on your site
- Site Map page
- Links page
- About page
- Working with a Site DWT
Download and install the template packages, one or all of them, then create a site with one of them. If you take the time to study the style sheets which are heavily commented and the xhtml code which is also commented, it will help you to learn css. Read the instructions for editing the style sheets to change the “look” of the site.
Download one or all of the Expression Web Site Templates. Once you have tweaked the basic layout with your own colors and graphics, if you send us the url of your site we will add some examples of what can be done with the templates. After you have had a chance to work with the templates, Tina and I would love to hear your comments. You can leave them on the Comments section of this post or our Contact Page. Please feel free to also ask questions.
Updated April 2010: If you are using either FrontPage 2003 or the Free Sharepoint Designer 2007, these site templates will also work with your program. Just follow the instructions on how to add them to your program files.